July 26, 2015 - Ephesians 4:7-16 - Walking Up the Steps of Faith - The Equipping of the Saints
Walking Up the Steps of Faith
The Equipping of the Saints
- God wants the church to be equipped and have the tools we need to accomplish the mission that He has for us.
- Our tools have been used by Paul, Peter, James, John, etc.
Jesus gave "grace" gifts. v. 7-10
- Cant be bought or earned.
- You don't decide which one you get, it is based on the Will of God and the ability and capacity of Jesus to give us grace. There is no end to the grace He can give.
- God's ability to give us the gifts we need to equip us for everything He calls us to do is limitless.
- If we are going to be the Church that God wants us to be, we have to understand that God will equip us.
Those gifts have a godly purpose. v. 11-13
- So we will equip others
- So people will come to the knowledge of who God is
- Perfect: complete - gave themselves fully over to God
- To the point where we are like Jesus
God's purpose is progress that leads to maturity. v. 14-16
- The difference between young Christians and mature Christians.
- We should be stable in our understanding of God's doctrines, avoiding those who are trying to pull us from His plan
- Speaking the truth is not the same as speaking the truth out of a motive of love.
- Knit together: interconnected in an inseperable whole. Yarn doesn't intentionally work against you, people sometimes do, so being knit together as a body takes serious effort.
- God intends for every part to do its share. If you are not supplying what God intended, the whole body is damaged.
- When we are knit together, we are stronger in what we can accomplish.
- We are knit by spending time together.
- The highest call in using any gift is in the service of God's purpose.